Firewood shelter

A handy shelter to keep my firewood dry, made almost entirely from recycled materials. Must have been the close to freezing temperatures that got me moving on this project! Before now all my firewood was stored under a makeshift lean-to attached to a side fence, but winds had knocked it all over and I wanted to replace it with something more suitable. So here’s what I came up with.

My own design based on a few ideas seen out in the interwebs. A smallish shelter, but my fire is not my primary heater so I don’t need heaps of storage.

I thought this would be a good chance to finally use up the bulk of my larger scrap timber. The base would be the most substantial part, made of some 90×35 mm treated pine from a fence rail I pulled down years ago, all screwed together with some large galvanized screws. Attached to this I would then use my large pile of old hardwood fence pailings. While heavily weathered and warped, and in some cases split, with enough of them I figured it would have enough strength to do the job.

A little help from my boy to pre drill some holes and mark up the base materials.

Pre-drilling the boards was an absolute necessity as they split so easily. Their strength is ok but they are extremely brittle. I went to the trouble to joint one edge of a few of the boards so they’d be easier to attach.

Being so bloody cold this time of year, I persisted in building up as much as I could inside my tiny shed with my little heater keeping me warm. But eventually I had to stop before it got too heavy for me to move safely.

For the longer boards I just screwed them on then trimmed them back to size with a jigsaw. Easier than pre cutting long pieces in a small space.
“Just” enough space to work on this inside but any heavier I would have needed help moving it.

After dragging this rapidly increasing weight shelter to it’s final home, I screwed on the remaining boards and that finished everything except the roof. The whole unit sits on a few bricks just to keep the timber off the dirt to prolong it’s lifespan. 

Working at night; looks kinda fun with the lighting. Clamps in place to hold the side boards until they can be screwed on.

All that was left was to cut down some of the old roofing iron I’d been using for my old lean-to into the right size then secure it on. I actually ended up using a dremel of all things to cut the sheets. Probably an odd choice but I was out of cutting disks for my angle grinder, and I had nothing else suitable for cutting metal like this (my jigsaw couldn’t handle the corrogations). I worked through 3 of the tiny cutting disks for the dremel but I had a whole bunch of spares so no issue.

Using the extension piece of the dremel to cut very close and use up all of the tiny cutting disks.
Securing the roof and adding some extra boards to be base to make stacking easier

Finally ready for the firewood, though my stash is almost gone. Time to start collecting again for next winter.

All finished! Looking nice and rustic.
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s